Retraining & Education
Equity Charitable Trust Educational Bursaries
Explore new paths and new opportunities
You may simply want another skill to help you get by when work is scarce. Or you may want a fresh start, away from the profession. If you have a need for retraining or education, we can help to make it happen.
Our Education Bursaries have helped hundreds of performers to complete recognised courses and achieve valuable new qualifications. Grants can cover some or all of the course costs, depending on your circumstances. In some cases, we have simply helped with the purchase of books or essential materials. The key is that help is available and even a small grant can make a big difference.
To be eligible for a grant, you will usually need to show at least 10 years' experience as an adult professional performer. We regret we are unable to help musicians, drama students or amateur performers. Here is a checklist of the things we take into consideration:
- Your course must lead to a recognised qualification
- The college or training centre must be a recognised
provider of the qualification
- You will need to provide a CV showing your experience
within the profession
- We will need evidence of your current financial position
- As part of the application process, we may also direct you
to other potential sources of funding
- Short courses, courses abroad or summer schools
are not usually considered to be eligible for funding
- Courses for the improvement of your performance skills are not eligible
If you have any doubts about your eligibility, call us or email us
for further advice.
Here’s how the application process works:
- Ask for an application form - you can either email Kaethe Cherney at email@example.com, call us at 020 7831 1926 or
download the Educational Bursaries application form here
- Send the application form and any accompanying
documents to us for review
- We may call you or email you if we have any further
questions about your application
- If it is accepted, your application is presented for
consideration at the next meeting of the trustees
- The trustees meet three times a year and a decision
is made at the meeting
- You are informed of the trustees' decision by post
within five working days of the meeting
The budget for the Education Burseries has now been allocated for 2011/2012. If you are interested in applying, please contact Kaethe Cherney from January 2013 onwards. The Trustees usually meet during the period April – August to allocate the grants.